Japanese Nationals Have Remedies to Keep Their Immigration Status Current After the Devastating March Disasters

Law Firm Newswire



Houston, TX (Law Firm Newswire) May 9, 2011 – After the recent earthquakes and tsunami in Japan, Japanese nationals in the U.S. with certain American immigration status questions can seek help from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. (USCIS) The USCIS will assist individuals and families who are stranded due to the circumstances or whose immigration documents are about to expire.

“The USCIS wants to help people maintain their lawful immigration status,” said Houston immigration attorney Annie Banerjee. “Seek an immigration attorney’s counsel for your particular situation and we can help push your needs through the USCIS.”

  • The following relief actions that eligible Japanese national can take include:application change or extension of nonimmigrant status while in the U.S., even if this is filed after the authorized period of admission
  • re-parole of individuals
  • extension of specific grants of advance parole and expedited processing of these requests
  • quicker adjudication and approval of off-campus employment for F-1 students who have severe economic hardships
  • quicker processing of immigrant petitions for close relatives of American citizens and lawful permanent residents
  • quicker employment approval
  • coordination of residents who are stranded overseas without necessary documents and no nearby USCIS office

“Our office will help you with the documents to keep your immigration status current or modify it,” Banerjee said. “The biggest part is that the USCIS will want evidence that the events in Japan starting on March 11 caused a delay of your return trip to Japan.”
Japanese nationals and those in need of immigration counsel will want to seek assistance before May 11, the current deadline that the USCIS is allowing for late changes. Any help sought after that and late changes will only be allowed on a case-by-case basis.

Of special importance are Japanese students studying in the U.S. that need to obtain work due to their family facing severe hardships and unable to fund college will have expedited F-1 employment authorizations. The student must show they have been an F-1 student for a full school year, a good academic record and course load, and need the employment to avoid a hardship.

“When severe circumstances happen, the USCIS and legal community is here to help you,” said Banerjee. “You don’t want to suffer or stress out – come to us with any and every question to get peace of mind on your immigration status.”

The Law Offices of Annie Banerjee has more than a decade of experience in immigration law. She counsels individuals and businesses with a steadfast dedication to efficient, expert guidance. As an immigrant herself, she knows the ups and downs of the immigrant experience, and will assist with every need big and small.

To learn more, visit http://www.visatous.com.

Law Offices of Annie Banerjee
131 Brooks Street Suite #300
Sugar Land, Texas 77478
Phone: (281) 242-9139

[iframe http://www.visatous.com 100% 500px]

Loading RSS Feed