A New Years Resolution to Spend More Time with Children Will Necessitate Change in Time Sharing Agreement

Law Firm Newswire



Zephyrhills, FL (Law Firm Newswire) January 24, 2012 – With a New Year comes resolutions and for many divorced parents there can be no more important decision than to resolve to spend more time with their children.

An adjustment to a time sharing agreement can be an easy thing to do if the parents agree to the changes. If the adjustment is permanent, the parties should file a modified agreement with the court, to ensure that the new agreement replaces the old agreement.

Modifying a time sharing agreement can be more difficult if one of the parents fights the changes, but it can generally be done. The courts will always consider the best interest of the children in looking at such a modification.

“Most parents recognize that the children are better off if they get to spend more time with both of their parents,” said Zephyrhills divorce attorney Marcie Baker. The first step is to have a conversation with the other parent. “Start with an open discussion about how the agreement has been working and make a case that you are changing your lifestyle to make room for more time with the kids,” Baker said.

If the other parent agrees, then a family court judge will usually accommodate the wishes of both parents. If the other parent does not agree or the original agreement was hotly contested, then changing the agreement can be a bigger challenge. A parent arguing for more time with the children will have to make a strong case before a judge that the circumstances have changed, especially since a judge signed off on the agreement the first time.

“A change in a time sharing agreement can sometimes reopen some of the painful feelings that led to the divorce in the first place,” Baker said. “But if you believe in your heart that you need to spend more time with your children, then that is worth fighting for in court.”

An experienced family law attorney can help a parent shape an argument for more time sharing with children of divorce.

To contact a Zephyrhills divorce lawyer or Zephyrhills child custody attorney, visit http://www.alstonbakerlaw.com.

Alston & Baker, P.A.
5518 Seventh Street
Zephyrhills, Florida 33542
Call: 813-779-8895
Toll-free: 1-888-500-5245

[iframe http://www.alstonbakerlaw.com 100% 450px]

Loading RSS Feed
LFN Primary