Aid and Attendance Pension Available for Veterans Who Need Long-Term Care




Legal Help for Veterans is a law firm helping veterans get the benefits they deserve.

Northville, MI (Law Firm Newswire) January 20, 2015 – Veterans who need assistance performing activities of daily living (ADLs) may qualify for a Veterans Administration (VA) pension benefit called Aid and Attendance, which can cover the cost of in-home care or residence in a nursing home.

Aid and Attendance is available to veterans who served for a minimum of 90 days, at least one of which occurred during wartime. Veterans or surviving spouses may be eligible if they require the aid of another person to perform ADLs such as using the restroom, eating or bathing. Individuals who are blind or reside in a nursing home qualify.

The disability does not need to be related to service; it can be related to any medical condition the veteran developed before or after serving.

“The cost of long-term care can be overwhelming,” said Jim Fausone, a Northville attorney who specializes in veterans’ disability claims. “Aid and Attendance exists to help veterans and their spouses manage that cost.”

Veterans must meet financial requirements to qualify for the pension. The veteran or spouse must own less than $80,000 in assets, a calculation which does not include homes or vehicles. The income must be less than the maximum annual pension rate (MAPR), which is $21,107 for a single veteran in 2014. Income does not include Supplemental Security Income, welfare benefits or unreimbursed medical expenses.

The size of the pension depends on the individual’s income. Aid and Attendance pays the difference between the veteran’s income and the MAPR.

Veterans can apply for Aid and Attendance through their local VA office.

Learn more at Legal Help for Veterans, PLLC 41700 West Six Mile Road, Suite 101 Northville, MI 48168 Toll Free Phone: 800.693.4800
Loading RSS Feed