Revised Form I-9 Must be in Use by January 22, 2017 for All U.S. New Hires
Houston, TX (Law Firm Newswire) February 1, 2017 – The Employment Eligibility Verification form, referred to as Form I-9, has been revised by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Form I-9 requirements were put in place in 1986 when the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) was passed. The Act bans employers from hiring U.S. citizens and others for work in the United States without verifying their employment authorization and identity.
The latest revised version of Form I-9 (dated November 14, 2016) must be in place and was to be in use by January 22, 2017. In the meantime, employers could use the March 8, 2013 version of Form I-9.
There are a number of changes to Form I-9 that are intended to make the process easier, streamlined and more user-friendly. The revised form is now much easier to complete on a computer.
Some of the changes expected to expedite the online filing of the new version of Form I-9 include, but are not limited to:
· An option to clear the form and begin again is now available
· Drop-down menus, lists and calendars for filling in dates
· A new page for preparers/translators
· More than one translator/preparer may now be listed
· Easier access to full instructions and on-screen instructions for every field
· An employer automatically gets a generated quick response (QR) code when the completed form is printed
· A comment box has been added allowing applicants to add more information
· New prompts have been added to make sure information is entered correctly
· Detailed application instructions in a separate document, not part of the form and
include how to complete each required field
“If you have questions about the latest revisions to Form I-9, do not hesitate to contact our office,” said respected Houston immigration attorney, Annie Banerjee. “Immigration law can be complex and confusing. We are able to help you sort out what you need and when your material needs to be submitted.”Learn more at http://www.visatous.com Law Offices of Annie Banerjee 131 Brooks Street, Suite #300 Sugar Land, Texas 77478 Phone: (281) 242-9139